We have shared strategies for you to get involved in the Census; provided an overview of the redistricting process and how you can develop community-driven strategies for redistricting. This final webinar is based on the work that the Lawndale Alliance did with UCCRO and a multi-cultural coalition to maximize opportunities for minority groups to elect candidates of their choice throughout the state of Illinois. We will share an overview of the
- Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Illinois Voting Rights Act of 2011
- Relevant Court Cases and Case Studies
While it is too early to provide reapportionment data (the 2020 Census won’t be done until April 1, 2020), we can share approximate milestones of which you should be aware based on the process in 2010. It should noted that these are approximations and the process may be somewhat different.
Now that you understand how the data may be used for redistricting purposes, we will share how to lay the groundwork for community-based redistricting strategies.
This webinar is the second of a 3-part case study of how the Lawndale Alliance worked with other organizations around the State of Illinois to develop a redistricting map proposal that maximized opportunities for minority groups to elect candidates of their choice. This webinar will help you identify a community of interest and provide an overview of some of the redistricting strategies that you might be able to use in your own advocacy for fair redistricting.
Now that you have a sense for the major issues surrounding the Census; why it’s important and how you can get involved, the next logical step is understanding how the data may be used for redistricting purposes. This webinar is the first of a 3-part case study of how the Lawndale Alliance worked with other organizations around the State of Illinois to develop a redistricting map that maximized opportunities for minority groups to elect candidates of their choice. This webinar will provide
- Overview of issues that impact the remapping process from a community perspective
- Review of Census data for representative legislative districts
- Review current maps of legislative districts
- Understand the relationship between Census data and the remapping process
- Overview of current laws that govern the process
- Review the schedule for developing new districts