Crime and Public Safety
1–25 of 55 items | Next »
Can We Stop Crime?
- Sameer Mujtaba, Nov 11, 2013
- A logical proposal to help reduce crime in Humboldt Park.
Decreasing Crime Rate Across Humboldt Park
- Lucero Garcia, Nov 11, 2013
- Humboldt Park is far from the violent community that it is often perceived as. At some point Humboldt Park was one of the most dangerous places in the city but the crime has drastically decreased…
Safer Streets for All
- Valerie Alba, Nov 11, 2013
- Decline in crime in the area allows people to feel much safer!
Silence is Violence: The Journey of Saving our Streets
- Donesha Owens, Nov 11, 2013
- Community Organizations working together to prevent crime, reduce the violence, and make the Humboldt Park environment a much safer one to live in.
Free Healthy Halloween Event in West Humboldt Park
- Megan Hinchy, Oct 18, 2013
- Are you looking for a FUN, SAFE, and FREE Halloween Event? Well, look no further! The West Humboldt Park Development Council presents Healthy Halloween 2013.
Chicago Plays! Playground Replacement Program Provides New Playground Equipment in West Humboldt Park
- Isaiah Ross, Oct 1, 2013
- The West Humboldt Park Development Council (WHPDC) and The Kells Park Advisory Committee (KPAC) submitted four applications requesting playground equipment replacements as part of the Chicago Plays…
Humboldt Park Safe Passage featured on Chicago Tonight
- Aug 13, 2013
- With two weeks before school begins, Bickerdike leader Magdalene Thurmond and Alderman Moreno are interviewed on Chicago Tonight regarding the Safe Passage program in Humboldt Park.
Volunteer for West Humboldt Park Summer PlayStreets Events!
- Isaiah Ross, Jul 23, 2013
- Summer PlayStreets 2013 is an initiative, which aims to activate city streets and outdoor public spaces to promote physical activity and safe play spaces for children and adults. As part of the…
Highlights from the Westside Writing Project News Show on CAN TV-21
- Gwen Pepin, Jul 10, 2013
- WWP students Gwen Pepin and Richard Marion recently wrapped up their latest run on CAN TV hosting the Westside Writing Project New Show. Here are some hot topics they covered and highlights from the…
Tips for a safe 4th of July
- Jul 2, 2013
- The 4th of July holiday is not only a celebration of our country's freedom, but also a celebration of the joys of summer. Fun can quickly turn if you're not careful.
Polaris Peace Fest & Day of Peace
- Isaiah Ross, Jun 6, 2013
- Seventh grade students at Polaris Charter Academy are working with Westinghouse High School Seniors, stakeholders and residents in the West Humboldt Park community to stop the killing in the City of…
CeaseFire Community Monitoring Program
- Christina Rosario, Mar 26, 2013
- Help play an important role in violence prevention with CeaseFire!
Chicago's Curfew Ordinance is still in effect
- Mar 19, 2013
- With spring break around the corner, and summer just a few months away it's good to keep the Chicago Curfew Ordinance in mind.
A Micro-Market Miracle on Central Park?
- John McCarron, Mar 13, 2013
- Orlando Graham could buy a house anywhere.
So why is this college-educated, ex-NBA player and successful security executive looking at a red brick two-flat smack in the middle of an entire block of…
Building Community Leadership at Block Club Network Meetings
- Isaiah Ross, Dec 10, 2012
- The Block Club Network Crime and Safety Meetings are heading in a positive direction as Block Club Network (BCN) members facilitate and lead discussion in monthly meetings. Members are enthusiastic…
Missing : Augusto "El Negro" Barrios
- Jorge Galvez, Nov 29, 2012
- Augusto Barrios: Elderly man Disappear and last seen around the Humboldt park area.
Augusto Barrios: Persona de Alta edad visto por ultima ves en las Ares de Humboldt Park.
Restorative Justice Strengthens The Community!!
- Lisa Andino-Matias, Oct 30, 2012
- Blocks Together and Access Living kicked up the National Week In Action on School Kick Out with the School to Jail March
Don’t Let Identity Thieves Trick You
- Mayra Salazar, Oct 26, 2012
- Halloween is a time when many people like a good scare. Whether it’s a frightening costume party or a horrifying haunted house, kids and grown-ups alike line up for a good fright. What makes it…
No permita que lo engañen los ladrones de identidad
- Mayra Salazar, Oct 26, 2012
- El Día de las Brujas (Halloween) es un día en que a muchas personas les gusta que los asusten. Ya sea una fiesta de disfraces o una casa encantada, tanto chicos como adultos se dan cita…
Clubs Fight Crime a Block at a Time
- Lolly Bowean and Jeremy Gorner, Chicago Tribune Reporters, Oct 8, 2012
- Police say neighbors who band together can help fight Chicago's rising violence.
Chicago Homicides - Summer 2012
- Marcus Johnson, Sep 16, 2012
- WWP student Marucs Johnson describes his summer with the program and his experience creating a podcast on Chicago violence.
During CPS/City of Chicago Negotiations where do I take my kids?
- Enrique Salgado, Jr., Sep 10, 2012
- If you do not know where to send your kids during the City/teachers strike. Here is a link to several places you can take you kids.
Violent Mobs in Downtown Chicago
- Gwen Pepin, Aug 15, 2012
- Student Gwen Pepin reports on the current trend of youth mobbing downtown Chicago and other near-north neighborhoods.
POST from EVERYBLOCK website: Bloomingdale Trail, private property?
- posted by Enrique Salgado, Jr. original to EveryBlock, Aug 9, 2012
- SEEN THIS POST AND FELT THE NEED TO SHARE SINCE MOST DO NOT KNOW ANSWER TO THIS: Saturday evening I was running on the Bloomingdale trail and a cop car drove up to me and told me I wasn't allowed to…
H.B. Stowe School LSC Speaks Against Principal Kyle at CPS Board Meeting
- Marybeth Foley, Jul 30, 2012
- Stowe LSC member George Soto told the Board members that principal Charles Kyle falsified documents. He shows reporters the school CIWP (formerly referred to as the SIPAA, the school improvement…
1–25 of 55 items | Next »
Tell us what's new in the community. You can even become an author and become a regular contributor to this portal.