Crime and Public Safety
1–25 of 65 items | Next »
Villa Summer Jam Block Party
- isaiah r., Jun 23, 2014
- On Sunday, June 23, Villa Chicago, 107.5 W.G.C.I. and Alderman Walter Burnett of the 27th Ward presented the Pre Summer Jam Block Party Against Violence: Peace in The Street event at The Kedzie…
WWP Partners with Medill to Discuss Austin Drug War
- Westside Writing Project, Jun 18, 2014
- The Westside Writing Project and the Social Justice News Nexus, a new journalism project at Medill - Northwestern University are hosting a community event in Austin on Friday, July 25! It is focused…
RFP issued for Security Services for West Humboldt Park SSA #63
- Tom Otto, Jun 5, 2014
- The West Humboldt Park SSA #63 is seeking a full-service security services company to provide security services in the West Humboldt Park Special Service Area (SSA) for the West Humboldt Park…
Attend the 15th Annual Ceasefire Peace Festival in Kells Park!
- isaiah r., May 22, 2014
- Annual CeaseFire Peace Festival on Friday June 6th at 4PM at Kells Park, 3201 W. Chicago Avenue (Chicago Ave. & Kedzie)!
City Officials Praise Safe Passages at Community Forum
- Humboldt Park Youth and Safety Committee, May 2, 2014
- On March 25th, 2014, police commanders (14th, 12th, and 11th district), city alderman (1st, 26th, 27th wards), and CPS officials all proactively met, without the presence of the media, to help…
- Michael Mosqueda, Apr 8, 2014
- Crime in Humboldt Park can be lowered simply through pick up games in the park.
Move towards Restorative Justice in Humboldt Park
- Victor Perez, Apr 8, 2014
- The Humboldt Park community has gone through a lot of change within the last decade including a decreasing crime rate. To continue the decrease in crime and better the community policing must place…
The Safety of Our Children
- Alonnie White, Apr 7, 2014
- What are the Safe Passage signs and routes really doing for our community?
A Safe or Vulnerable Passage: Perceptions of Safety
- Deja K Spikes, Apr 3, 2014
- At one point, there were nine elementary schools in the Humboldt Park Neighborhood. With the recent school closings, there has been a raise in fear and anxiety about the safety of school children.…
How My Impression About The Humboldt Park Neighborhood changed
- Uthman Salaam, Apr 3, 2014
- How a visit to Humboldt Park changed one person's perception of the neighborhood.
Can We Stop Crime?
- Sameer Mujtaba, Nov 11, 2013
- A logical proposal to help reduce crime in Humboldt Park.
Decreasing Crime Rate Across Humboldt Park
- Lucero Garcia, Nov 11, 2013
- Humboldt Park is far from the violent community that it is often perceived as. At some point Humboldt Park was one of the most dangerous places in the city but the crime has drastically decreased…
Safer Streets for All
- Valerie Alba, Nov 11, 2013
- Decline in crime in the area allows people to feel much safer!
Silence is Violence: The Journey of Saving our Streets
- Donesha Owens, Nov 11, 2013
- Community Organizations working together to prevent crime, reduce the violence, and make the Humboldt Park environment a much safer one to live in.
Free Healthy Halloween Event in West Humboldt Park
- Megan Hinchy, Oct 18, 2013
- Are you looking for a FUN, SAFE, and FREE Halloween Event? Well, look no further! The West Humboldt Park Development Council presents Healthy Halloween 2013.
Chicago Plays! Playground Replacement Program Provides New Playground Equipment in West Humboldt Park
- Isaiah Ross, Oct 1, 2013
- The West Humboldt Park Development Council (WHPDC) and The Kells Park Advisory Committee (KPAC) submitted four applications requesting playground equipment replacements as part of the Chicago Plays…
Humboldt Park Safe Passage featured on Chicago Tonight
- Aug 13, 2013
- With two weeks before school begins, Bickerdike leader Magdalene Thurmond and Alderman Moreno are interviewed on Chicago Tonight regarding the Safe Passage program in Humboldt Park.
Volunteer for West Humboldt Park Summer PlayStreets Events!
- Isaiah Ross, Jul 23, 2013
- Summer PlayStreets 2013 is an initiative, which aims to activate city streets and outdoor public spaces to promote physical activity and safe play spaces for children and adults. As part of the…
Highlights from the Westside Writing Project News Show on CAN TV-21
- Gwen Pepin, Jul 10, 2013
- WWP students Gwen Pepin and Richard Marion recently wrapped up their latest run on CAN TV hosting the Westside Writing Project New Show. Here are some hot topics they covered and highlights from the…
Tips for a safe 4th of July
- Jul 2, 2013
- The 4th of July holiday is not only a celebration of our country's freedom, but also a celebration of the joys of summer. Fun can quickly turn if you're not careful.
Polaris Peace Fest & Day of Peace
- Isaiah Ross, Jun 6, 2013
- Seventh grade students at Polaris Charter Academy are working with Westinghouse High School Seniors, stakeholders and residents in the West Humboldt Park community to stop the killing in the City of…
CeaseFire Community Monitoring Program
- Christina Rosario, Mar 26, 2013
- Help play an important role in violence prevention with CeaseFire!
Chicago's Curfew Ordinance is still in effect
- Mar 19, 2013
- With spring break around the corner, and summer just a few months away it's good to keep the Chicago Curfew Ordinance in mind.
A Micro-Market Miracle on Central Park?
- John McCarron, Mar 13, 2013
- Orlando Graham could buy a house anywhere.
So why is this college-educated, ex-NBA player and successful security executive looking at a red brick two-flat smack in the middle of an entire block of…
Building Community Leadership at Block Club Network Meetings
- Isaiah Ross, Dec 10, 2012
- The Block Club Network Crime and Safety Meetings are heading in a positive direction as Block Club Network (BCN) members facilitate and lead discussion in monthly meetings. Members are enthusiastic…
1–25 of 65 items | Next »
Tell us what's new in the community. You can even become an author and become a regular contributor to this portal.