1–25 of 41 items | Next »
A Micro-Market Miracle on Central Park?
- John McCarron, Mar 13, 2013
- Orlando Graham could buy a house anywhere.
So why is this college-educated, ex-NBA player and successful security executive looking at a red brick two-flat smack in the middle of an entire block of…
Bickerdike featured in Affordable Housing News
- Feb 4, 2013
- "Througout its history, Bickerdike has built 977 affordable rental and co-op units in 123 buildings, as well as 202 home-ownership units. The organization focuses on affordability and durability,…
Year-long rehabilitation project begins at 1704 N. Humboldt Building
- Jan 23, 2013
- Poised to be a model for affordable housing energy efficient retrofits and historic preservation, the rehabilitation of the 1704 N. Humboldt Building is underway.
CHA requires persons on waiting lists to update information
- Bickerdike Communications, Dec 14, 2012
- CHA is currently requiring that all persons on their Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher, and Scattered Sites waiting lists update their information and preferences. Per CHA, this will help them…
Building Community Leadership at Block Club Network Meetings
- Isaiah Ross, Dec 10, 2012
- The Block Club Network Crime and Safety Meetings are heading in a positive direction as Block Club Network (BCN) members facilitate and lead discussion in monthly meetings. Members are enthusiastic…
FIRST, VOTE NO!
- Lisa Andino-Matias, Oct 31, 2012
- House Joint Resolution Constitutional Amendment (HJRCA) 49
A Cinstitutional Roadblock To Retirement Security
Are you involved in deciding the future of your community?
- Libby Juliá-Vázquez, Oct 17, 2012
- A community is defined by its members. A strong community requires members who are actively engaged in creating positive change.
Center for Neighborhood Technology's Energy Impact Illinois program
- Leslie Proudfoot, Aug 30, 2012
- Energy Impact Illinois, an alliance of local organizations, non-profits, and utillities, has significant rebates available to help homeowners lower their energy bills and make their homes more…
Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation to host Property Tax Appeal Workshop
- Claudia Montoya, Aug 17, 2012
Wicker Park woman offers budget-friendly design services
- Lauren Heist, Jul 9, 2012
- Dina Petrakis, owner of Littlerock Construction, recognized that homeowners were looking for ways to update their homes quickly and inexpensively. So she created Space Lifting — a service that…
Humboldt Construction Company Honors Staff Achievements
- Danegza Cordero and Christy Prahl, Jul 5, 2012
- Humboldt Construction Company gathers with Bickerdike staff and Board to honor hardworking crew members.
US Treasury Official Visits Rosa Parks Apartments and The Green Exchange
- John McCarron, Jun 26, 2012
- Don Graves, executive director of the President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, and deputy assistant secretary for small business, community development and housing policy at the U.S.…
Bickerdike’s Zapata Apartments Offers Smoke Free Housing
- Kemberle Taylor, May 9, 2012
- Can you imagine living in an environment that is completely free of cigarette smoke? Well Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation (Bickerdike) will soon provide a Smoke Free building at 3230 W Armitage…
Neighborhood Housing Services Featured on WBEZ!
- reposted from WBEZ Chicago, Apr 11, 2012
- WBEZ reports on how Neighborhood Housing Services is tackling the foreclosure crisis in one section of Humboldt Park.
Homeless in Humboldt Park
- By Taylor Ervin, RedEye, Mar 14, 2012
- During the past three years, Humboldt Park has seen a steep increase in the number of youths who have been tossed out onto the street after coming out to their families as gay or lesbian.
Saving Millions of Gallons One Flush at a Time
- Mar 14, 2012
- Humboldt Park joins national effort to send water leaks down the drain
La Casa Norte Youth Featured in New York Times
- Meribah Knight - New York Times, Feb 25, 2012
- Two of La Casa Norte's homeless youth were featured this weekend in the New York Times!
The Power of One Family – West Humboldt NHS’ newest homeowner
- John Groene, Feb 24, 2012
- For the first nine years since moving to Chicago, the Shirk family of six lived in a 2-bedroom apartment, and had long believed that homeownership was out of their reach. Until they discovered a…
Open House: Hope Manor Apartments
- Janece Simmons, Dec 22, 2011
- Volunteers of America Illinois is now accepting applications for homeless veterans at the new Hope Manor Apartments
Occupy Our Homes' targets vacant houses
- ASHLEY GROSS, WBEZ Chicago, Dec 12, 2011
- Activists are moving homeless families into vacant, foreclosed homes in Chicago and elsewhere in the country
Affordable Housing Conversions Lined Up for Humboldt
- Curbed Chicago, Oct 10, 2011
- The Mayor called on City Council yesterday to approve two proposals for the creation of 80 units of affordable rental housing in West Town/Humboldt Park
"Que Viva!" groundbreaking for new housing
- John McCarron, Sep 21, 2011
- It's been a long struggle, but Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation and hundreds of community partners have broken ground on Zapata Apartments.
Prepare for winter weather with Greencorps Chicago's Home Energy Efficiency Training Program!
- Sep 5, 2011
- The Chicago's Department of Environment's Greencorps Chicago Home Energy Efficiency Training (HEET) Program works to help families save on winter heating bills by making simple energy efficiency…
New On-Line Tool for Homebuyers Offered by NHS of Chicago
- Barbara Harfmann, Aug 12, 2011
- Buying a home can be scary, but Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago teaches the skills needed to buy a home through both on-line and in-person education classes. Ehome features a combination of…
Alderman Wants Banks to Pay Transfer Tax on Foreclosures
- Lisa Parker, NBC Channel 5 News, Jul 13, 2011
- Ald. Roberto Maldonado sees proposal as leveling the playing field between banks, consumers by proposing to change the exemption and make banks pay for transfer taxes on foreclosures.
1–25 of 41 items | Next »
Tell us what's new in the community. You can even become an author and become a regular contributor to this portal.