Housing Application Workshops Available for Senior Citizens
Spanish Coalition for Housing (SCH), a partner of the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA)’s Community Alliance is offering seniors and caregivers free educational workshops throughout Chicago in the neighborhoods of Belmont Cragin, Gage Park, East Side and New City. Highly skilled bilingual coordinators will explain what documentation is needed, the waiting process, and how to fill out the new online-only application using computers. Through this process, SCH has been successful in helping over 400 seniors apply for affordable senior housing units.
Jesus Sanchez will finally move into the home of his dreams. “I received a letter in the mail stating I was approved to move into the Lincoln Perry Apartments. I was so happy I couldn’t believe it finally came true. SCH provided one-on-one application assistance including accuracy of information and follow up with CHA to ensure his application was processed.
“It was a long wait, but getting the home I wanted was worth it. Thanks to Spanish Coalition for Housing the application process was easy.” Sanchez, 79, is originally from Puerto Rico and is a single, retired father with four children. He moved to Chicago 10 years ago and has worked in the delivery business most of his life.
“SCH is here to help seniors like Mr. Sanchez, access valuable information and resources that support their affordable housing needs. Through the Community Alliance program, we are here to help seniors gain information, know their options and navigate CHA’s senior housing application process”, said Lydia Rodriguez, SCH-CHA Community Alliance Coordinator.
The next workshops available are:
• June 1, 2018 – 10:30 am, Chicago Public Library, 3710 E. 106th Street (East Side)
• June 7, 2018 – 4:00 pm , Chicago Public Library, 2807 W. 55th Street (Gage Park)
• June 7, 2018- 3:00 pm, West Belmont Public Library, 3104 N. Narragansett Avenue (Belmont Cragin)
• June 11, 2018- 1:00 pm, Kelvyn Park Satellite Senior Center, 2715 N. Cicero Avenue (Belmont Cragin)
• June 13, 2018- 11:30 am and 12:30 pm, Chicago Public Library, 2807 W. 55th Street (Gage Park)
• June 13, 2018- 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm, Chicago Public Library, 5440 S. Racine Ave Chicago IL 60609 (New City)
• June 14, 2018- 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm, West Belmont Public Library, 3104 N. Narragansett Avenue (Belmont Cragin)
• June 14, 2018 – 2:00 pm, Chicago Public Library, 3710 E. 106th Street (East Side)
• June 14, 2018 – 12:00 pm, Casa Hidalgo, 4600 S. Wood Avenue (New City)
• June 20, 2018- 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm, Chicago Public Library, 5440 S. Racine Ave Chicago IL 60609 (New City)
• June 21, 2018– 12:30 pm, Chicago Public Library, 2807 W. 55th Street (Gage Park)
• June 21, 2018 – 12:00 pm, Casa Hidalgo, 4600 S. Wood Avenue (New City)
• June 27, 2018– 11:30 pm, Chicago Public Library, 2807 W. 55th Street (Gage Park)
Here are important things to consider that are discussed at the workshops including how to qualify for senior housing:
• You must be 60 years or older to apply but can only be housed at age 62. However, if you have a disability, you can apply and be housed at age 55
• Income for 1 person cannot exceed $44,250 and $50,600 for a 2 person household
• A criminal background check of the last 3 years is required for single or double occupancy
• A studio or 1 bedroom are the only options available for senior housing
• You must only select 1 out of the 46 different senior housing locations (see here for a map listing http://www.thecha.org/residents/public-housing/find-public-housing/?pt=2)
For a complete list of available workshops in your neighborhood visit http://sc4housing.org/cha-community-alliance/ or call Spanish Coalition for Housing offices: north location (773-342-7575), south location (312-850-2660) and southeast location at 773-933-7575. Individuals who would like to apply for senior housing on their own can visit https://applyonline.thecha.org.